Monday, October 13, 2014

Zig Zag Weave on a Hinged Bracelet

I keep trying to come up with bracelets that work better for me. I like bangles, but I can't wear the ones without a clasp because it hurts my hand to scrunch it up enough to fit the bracelet over it. If I make them big enough that they don't hurt, they end up way too loose on my wrist. The ones with a clasp I'm always worried I'm going to bend out of shape just putting them on.

I needed to find a solution that. So, for this one, I made a focal with openings on both sides that will work sort of like part of a hinge. Then I made pieces that connect to each side by just curling the wire around it a little bit loosely (closed all the way, but large enough to move freely). Now I have a bracelet that fits perfectly and I won't have to worry about it getting bent out of shape just putting it on.




For the cuff part of the bracelet I used another new weave I've been experimenting with recently. It's a variation of the simple figure 8 weave that creates a zigzag pattern over the top of the weave. I could probably have achieved a similar look by creating the weave first, then adding the zigzag on top of it with another wire, but I just didn't want to go that route. By incorporating the zigzag into the weave I was able to reduce the number of wire ends that needed to be secured at the end of the weave, giving it a much cleaner looking finish.

No comments: